Too Sick for School?
This is a question many students and parents ask. Remember that immediate care at home will shorten the period of illness and prevent infection of schoolmates.
Children should stay home from school for the following reasons:
- Temperature in the past 24 hours (must be fever free for 24 hours)
- Temperature of 100 degrees or higher
- Vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours
- Severe cough
- Sore throat
- Pink eye or other conditions resulting in discharge or drainage
- Suspicious skin conditions
- Signs of other acute illnesses
- Having head lice
If placed on antibiotics, a child must be on the antibiotics for at least 24 hours before returning to school.
Illness Protection & Control:
- Thorough handwashing with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds is the best way to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve.